While most men are known to be diligent regarding their fitness and exercise regimes, they often tend to show disregard towards a very important part of their body - the skin.
In fact, proper skincare is extremely important not only to fight against common skin issues like acne, eye bags, or wrinkles. But along with clothing and etiquette, a healthy-looking, radiant face and skin is an important part of your grooming. Healthy skin helps you be more satisfied with your appearance and gives a boost to your confidence levels.
It is true that men's skin is thicker and more resilient than that of women, and that is perhaps a reason men tend to ignore proper skincare. With the plethora of skincare products available in the market, skincare may seem to be a formidable and confusing task to some, which is another reason why many men choose to ignore a proper skincare regime.
Hence, when it comes to men, it is important that a skincare regime be straightforward, easy to use, and take little time and effort.
MEN’ S SKINCARE IS EASY
A basic algorithm for men is to remember to Cleanse, Moisturize, and use sun Protection. These basic steps, in addition to some healthy lifestyle practices, will ensure healthier skin and delay signs of aging.
- Start with Cleansing : Day in and day out your skin takes on whatever the environment throws at it. Cleansing helps get rid of all the impurities that have settled on it and better prepares it to battle the next day.
Splash warm water on your face. Warm water opens your pores and brings the dirt and impurities out. It is recommended to use a mens' face wash, and not ordinary soap, as most soaps contain harmful chemical ingredients that may be detrimental to your skin health.
Wash your face at least twice a day. However, don't overdo it, as frequent washing can cause unnecessary dryness.
You may also use a face scrub 1-2 times a week to exfoliate dead skin, and come up with a bright, energetic visage. However, discontinue use if your skin gets red or in case of irritation.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize : Rule number two (Cleaning being rule 1) for effective skincare is to use a moisturizer regularly. Not when you feel like, not intermittently, regularly. Applying moisturizer keeps your skin hydrated. A well-hydrated skin prevents aging and wrinkles and also prevents excess oil production.
Men's skin is thicker, and therefore needs a light moisturizer that is readily absorbed. Most moisturizers are oil-based, and well suited for men with normal skin, or those who have dry skin, and are especially beneficial in winters. For men with oily skin, water-based moisturizers are recommended.
- Shield your face from the sun : Many of us tend to ignore the importance of sunscreens. However, sun damage is a leading cause of skin aging, and application of sunscreen is an essential step in every skincare regime.
Make sure to apply SPF30 or greater on all exposed body parts before going out in the sun.
Healthy Lifestyle for a Perfect Skin
Healthy lifestyle practices, in addition to the basic skincare regime described above, can work wonders for your skin. It’s not difficult to maintain a lifestyle that helps your skin be its youthful self.
- Stay hydrated - Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily for healthy, supple skin. Control your intake of alcohol and caffeine, as they have a dehydrating effect.
- Avoid Sugar and foods with high glycemic index - For all you men having a sweet tooth, there is news- excess sugar is as bad for your skin as it for your teeth. Eating too many foods with a high glycemic index can lead to inflammation in the body, and may aggravate skin conditions like acne or eczema. So no matter how tempting that chocolate cupcake seems, avoid it.
- Binge on those fruits and veggies - Fresh fruits and vegetables pack a healthy dose of antioxidants - which help fight free radicals and prevent aging - as well as essential vitamins that help keep your skin fit and radiant. Now it’s time to start eating your broccoli and brussel sprouts.
- Catch Up on your Nap Time - Proper, deep sleep every day can go a long way in maintaining your skin health and preventing dark circles and puffy eyes. Skin goes to repair and regeneration mode as we sleep, and lack of sleep can disrupt this healing cycle.
- Avoid Stress - Stress causes the secretion of cortisol, which leads to inflammation in the body. Cortisol also increases sebum production by sebaceous glands and can cause acne.
- Avoid Smoking - Smoking is not cool. It decreases circulation and collagen production and is very detrimental to your skin health. Avoid smoking and your skin will be eternally grateful to you
Skincare for men is easy, and not something one should be confused or intimidated by. The key is to maintain consistency in your skincare routine and perform it daily in the morning and before going to bed. In addition, a healthy lifestyle goes a long way in preserving the youth and sheen of your skin.